Ok ok don’t panic. I have eggplants piling up in my kitchen and I don’t want any going to waste.
Here’s an adaptation of a recipe from a fellow blogger I’ve been meaning to try. I would serve this the day after it is made to allow the flavors to develop.
Baingan ka Bharta
3 large eggplant or 6 medium eggplant or 1 dozen small Japanese eggplant
3 onion, finely chopped
1 can plum tomatoes, chopped
3-inch chunk of ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp red chili paste
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
3 tsp cumin seeds
salt, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
fresh chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
1. Make tiny slits all around the eggplant and roast in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, till eggplant gets a charred coating on all sides.
2. Remove the charred skin and chop eggplant meat. Place in a strainer over a bowl to allow liquid to drain. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and saute cumin seeds and ginger until they begin to sizzle.
4. Add in onions and fry till brown. Season with some salt, red chili paste and turmeric and fry spices till fragrant.
5. Add tomatoes and cook until reduced, about 10-15 minutes.
6. Add mashed drained eggplant and garam masala. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly to blend in well.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with naan or pita bread.