Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Organics, Ethics and Snobbery

I read an interesting article about organic food, written by the Accidental Hedonist. It is an article in response to another article written in the New York Times. I completely agree with AH in that organic food and its underlying philosophy is for everyone and actually, should be integrated by everyone, but unfortunately the organic lifestyle tends to be afforded exclusively by the privileged. The article was written with an American perspective but it does apply in every country that grows organic food. All except Cuba where the conventional way of growing fruits and vegetables is organically.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I disagree, I used to do volunteer work in the SF bay area and I ate entirely organic on a budget lower than most other folks eating out of the conventional grocers. That's because you save by buying bulk and cooking cooperatively. You also make your own sauces, be creative with left overs. etc. You also don't eat meat every day and don't ever buy processed goods. Takes a little to get used to for well fed Americans, but hell it tastes WAY better in the end. Btw, I am glad to have found your blog. I knew there was a foodie culture in Manila, but I've been too busy running a farm up in Isabela to wander south. Unfortunately we aren't much organic, but I'm pushing operations that way.